Washington DC: From Murder Capital to Boomtown in 25 Years

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMoreA quarter of a century ago, Washington DC had a fearsome reputation for crack abuse and rampant gun violence – it was the “murder capital” of the US. But now, once-blighted neighborhoods close to the centre of the capital are thriving.After Washington had “bottomed out” in 1991, a virtuous cycle began as more affluent young professionals began to opt for the convenience and buzz of living closer to the city centre, often moving to handsome old buildings in areas that once had been considered too dangerous.Residents old and new recognize that gentrification has meant a safer and more prosperous neighborhood. Homeowners have seen the value of their property rise. New commerce in the neighborhoods with shops and restaurants means people are making money and spending it too, in a prosperity cycle.(READ the story from the BBC)AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMorelast_img read more

Firearms & ammunition found in barrel

first_imgInternationalLocalNewsPrint Firearms & ammunition found in barrel by: Dominica Vibes News – October 7, 2016 Share 953 Views   one comment Share Sharecenter_img Tweet Sharing is caring! The Commonwealth of Dominica Police Force is soliciting the assistance of the general public in determining the owner of a barrel in which a plethora of firearms were discovered.The barrel, which was seized on 30 September 2016 and had been on the port for two days, Police Chief Daniel Carbon reported at a press conference on Friday 7 October 2016.The Chief informed that in collaboration with law enforcement of the United States of America; his officers conducted an operation at the Woodbridge Bay Port which resulted in the interception of a barrel which contained grocery items and originated from the United States of America.Chief Carbon said a search of the contents of that barrel was conducted by members of the Drug Squad in the presence of the Customs and Excise Authority and the Port authority.“The following were found in the bottom of the barrel; five Taurus pistols, one kel tec pistol, one rossi revolver, one hundred and eighty rounds of 7.62 round of ammunition, two hundred and fifty rounds of 9 millimeter ammunition, three hundred rounds of .38 ammunition, one hundred rounds of 387 ammunition. One 7 round magazine, one 12 round magazine, one 29 round sub-machine gun machine, one 9 million volt stunt gun,” Carbon reported.The police are in pursuit of persons who can assist with the investigations and according to the Chief, they are very concerned about the discovery as the safety of the country is the Force’s number one priority.The Chief emphasized that firearms, firearm trafficking and drug trafficking in the region is a very serious matter which concerns all law enforcement officers.“So when you see what we have seized, in that barrel, I would like the public to understand that first of all the Police Force has their safety and security at heart; that is paramount for us,” he said.He further cautioned the general public to “be very aware and very conscious of their surroundings, the people they deal with, the activities they attend, and when they attend those activities the observations that they make, and any information they have as it relates to criminal activity, they must quickly inform the police about that activity”.The Police Force, Chief Carbon noted, wants to make sure that every citizen and visitor in this country is safe and secure and “prevent the loss of life through criminal activity and even Lord forbids, when it happens, we’re in a position to detect it and so detecting it rests heavily on members of the public”.– / 9last_img read more

“Everyone was crying” – Former Man United fan favourites recall moment…

first_imgArriving at the club with his brother, Fabio, the right-back quickly ended up in the starting line up due to injuries to Gary Neville, Wes Brown and John O’Shea.The now 28-year-old stayed at Old Trafford for seven years, making 170 appearances, 114 more than his twin, who stayed there for six.As they revealed to L’Equipe‘s magazine in a lengthy joint interview this month, this difference in game time was difficult for Fabio, who was used to being the ‘better’ of the two when they were growing up.Rafael explained: “It’s complicated when you’re twins and one of you isn’t reaching his targets. Even if I was playing, I was sad for him. It was complicated.”Asked if his brother’s success helped or demoralised him, Fabio replied: “It was a mixture of both. When were young, I was ‘the star’, but at Manchester United, that flipped completely. That affected me. I didn’t lose confidence because of his success, but psychologically, it destabilised me.”Embed from Getty ImagesRafael never gave up on his brother, constantly ‘shaking him’ to try and help him snap out of it, for which his twin is grateful as it’s what helped him ‘never give up’.After all the pair were living the dream, having joined the club at the age of 16 from Fluminense, a moment which they remember ‘like it was yesterday’.Rafael said: “When we signed, it was amazing. The whole family was in the office. Everyone was crying. At the time, the contract was in pounds, which was worth six to seven times the Brazilian real. It was huge.“The year after, our dad stopped working. At the age of 16-17, we managed to take care of our parents. It was a dream.”There’s a reason why these two managed to melt the hearts of many Manchester United fans during their time there.It’s not everyday twins get to play at the same club, and even now, while they might not always be together, they’re in the same country, in the same league, with Rafael at Lyon and Fabio at Nantes.As for what they want to do in the future, they explained it’s their dream to once again play together at club level.Fabio has a plan: “We’re Botafogo fans since we were kids. It would be great to finish our career together, in the club dearest to our father’s heart.”Whoever is cutting onions, we’re kindly asking you to stop.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksTrending TodayForge of Empires – Free Online GameIf You Like to Play, this Game is a Must-HaveForge of Empires – Free Online GameUndoRaid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadEven Non-Gamers Are Obsessed With This RPG Game (It’s Worth Installing!)Raid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadUndoDating.comTop Successful Single Men in Tung ChungDating.comUndoPerfect-Dating.comReveal Tung Chung As The Best City to Date for Love & RomancePerfect-Dating.comUndoKeto减肥1個簡單的妙招一夜「融化」腹部贅肉(今晚試試)Keto减肥UndoCNBC InternationalHere’s How Big Businesses in Singapore Are Managing the Impact of COVID-19.CNBC InternationalUndo熱門話題小心會長過頭…網友推爆:「真的長得超誇張!」熱門話題UndoSingles50Hong Kong: A 40+ Dating Site That Actually Works!Singles50UndoCoworking Space | Search AdsThe cost of shared office in Hong Kong might surprise youCoworking Space | Search AdsUndo While the Brazilians at Manchester United these days tend to be on the bench, there was a time when one of them was a regular in defence: Rafael.last_img read more

Modric questioned in Dinamo Zagreb graft case

first_img0Shares0000Midfielder Luka Modric scored the only goal for Croatia in their Euro 2016 opening win against Turkey (AFP Photo/Philippe Lopez)ZAGREB, Croatia, July 12 – Real Madrid midfield star Luka Modric has been questioned by Croatian prosecutors over a multimillion-euro corruption case involving former high-ranking Dinamo Zagreb officials, a report said on Tuesday.Modric, who is not suspected of any wrongdoing, had already been questioned by anti-graft prosecutors (USKOK) in Zagreb in September 2015 and his testimony was considered key in the case. At the time local media reported Modric was questioned on the financial details of his 2008 transfer to Tottenham Hotspur. From there he joined Real Madrid.There were no details about the latest meeting with prosecutors, which took place in the Croatian capital on Monday, the Jutarnji list daily said.Former Dinamo Zagreb boss Zdravko Mamic — considered the most powerful man in Croatian football — and his brother Zoran, the club’s ex-coach, were charged by USKOK in April with abuse of power and bribery.The Mamic brothers were charged along with one of the club’s former directors and a tax inspector.The alleged offences cost the Croatian champions nearly 116 million kunas (16 million euros, $17 million).Most of the money — more than 12 million euros — was illegally acquired by the Mamic brothers, according to the indictment.The money was allegedly embezzled through fictitious deals related to player transfers.Zdravko Mamic repeatedly argued that the probes against him were politically motivated.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more