Mario Cipollini rides with the masses at Santos Tour Down Under

first_imgCycling sprint icon Mario Cipollini will make his first trip to Australia as a guest of honour at the 2019 Santos Tour Down Under. As part of his attendance, Cipollini will be riding the Challenge Tour presented by The Advertiser and will be honoured at a Legends’ Night Dinner alongside Australian cyclist Mathew Hayman.The Challenge Tour presented by The Advertiser is the Santos Tour Down Under’s annual mass-participation ride. On Saturday 19 January 2019, Challenge Tour riders will tackle the same route as the professional riders from Glenelg to Strathalbyn.The Santos Tour Down Under is an 11-day festival of cycling, running from 10-20 January 2019. It commences with the Santos Women’s Tour Down Under from 10-13 January, followed by the Down Under Classic (13 January) and men’s Santos Tour Down Under from 15-20 January.“This will be my first official visit to Australia and I can’t wait to experience the Santos Tour Down Under for myself first hand,” said Cipollini.“Australian cycling fans are passionate about this sport and I know have supported me from afar throughout my career on and off the bike. There will be lots of opportunities for me to meet the fans and share my stories about life in the peloton.“I will be riding the Challenge Tour so expect to have company and I may even pack a special skin suit for the occasion!”Named one of the greatest sprinters of his generation, Cipollini has 42 stage wins at the Giro d’Italia, 12 Tour de France stages, and three at the Vuelta a Espana in a career spanning almost two decades. He was also the 2002 UCI World Road Champion, earning him the rainbow stripes for the 2003 season.Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, David Ridgway, says he expected cycling enthusiasts will be eager to hear about Cipollini’s days in the peloton. “As one of the most decorated sprinters of modern times we are sure he will be set to entertain at the Legends’ Night Dinner,” Ridgway said.“It is also an ideal time to register to ride alongside him on the Challenge Tour for those wanting to tackle the 158 km route.”Race Director Mike Turtur noted that “Mario Cipollini is one of the most decorated sprinters of our time, taking 57 Grand Tour stage victories, making him the second highest placed rider with this achievement behind the great Eddy Merckx with 65 victories.“Mario was listed to ride the 2000 TDU but unfortunately did not make it with the team to the start line, so this visit has been a long time coming. We are really looking forward to welcoming him to the race.“We know the fans will be eagerly awaiting his arrival and can’t wait to hear from him first-hand about life in the peloton and how it feels to have claimed so many Grand Tour stage wins.”Mario Cipollini meets cycling fans at the Santos Tour Down Under:The City of Adelaide Tour Village on Saturday 12 January 2019 at the Team Presentation & Free ConcertThe Challenge Tour presented by The Advertiser on Saturday 19 January 2019Tales from the peloton as Cipollini is honoured at the Legends’ Night Dinner on Saturday 19 January 2019www.tourdownunder.com.au Relatedlast_img read more

Nationwide Financial Literacy Programme to roll out soon – Central Bank official

first_imgDeputy Governor of the Bank of Guyana, Dr Terrence Smith believes that more education is needed on financial literacy.Speaking at a graduation ceremony held at the National Sports Commission’s Racquet Centre late last week, Dr Smith observed that many persons in poorer countries, such as Guyana, are “financially illiterate”, so much so that they are working against maximising their full economic potential.Bank of Guyana Deputy Governor, Dr Terrence Smith“[Financial Literacy] is something that is lacking in Guyana especially in the Indigenous communities…it is affecting them and, therefore, it affects the economy of Guyana,” the Bank’s Deputy Governor outlined.Dr Smith also said that bringing awareness on financial literacy was something that should be brought to the forefront. He further encouraged that young people should have ‘saving qualities’, noting that lack of finances could affect your quality of life, especially if the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) pension was all that you would receive at 60.“You can’t wait till 55 to start saving,” Dr Smith implored.He also clarified that the central bank was hoping to develop a financial literacy programme that would be rolled out within the next two months. Dr Smith related that it was after Finance Minister Winston Jordan highlighted the inadequacies of sound financial literacy last year that the Bank opted to formulate the programme.“He alluded that Guyana needs to come forward with educating the citizens [on] financial literacy; for people to become financial literate in the sense that they’re able to make proper decisions in terms of money they have to spend, so the Bank of Guyana took the initiative,” he noted.The central bank official further noted that the programme would eventually extend to all regions of the country with special focus on the youth and Indigenous populations.“I want to start with the youth in primary school, because I feel if you teach folk about financial literacy early on in their lifetime, when they grow up they become more positive and more sensitive to financial decisions and as they get older, they make wiser decisions in terms of financial literacy,” Dr Smith stressed, adding that the programme would benefit Guyanese households.Ahead of the programme’s media launch and rollout, the official explained that stakeholder meetings were currently being held.“I am at the moment speaking with the stakeholders like Credit Bureau, National Library…as I begin to get the stakeholders on board and I finish the development of the strategy, I will face the media and roll it out by the end of early July or August,” he expressed.It was on Thursday last that 22 youths successfully completed the Financial Literacy and Small Business Training Programme. In his address, the Deputy Governor insisted that the graduates carefully utilise the skills garnered as he highlighted the shortcomings that exist in locals in terms of making prudent financial decisions.last_img read more

Guardiola happy in New York

first_imgGuardiola was forced to address his future while he appeared as a guest speaker at an annual event in Mexico City organized by Fundacion Telmex, the charity of Mexican telecoms tycoon Carlos Slim.Asked whether he would coach the Spanish national team one day, he said: “You never know. It’s just that New York is so nice.”Would his next destination be Manchester United or AC Milan? “I don’t know… I said I wouldn’t coach this year,” he responded.The 41-year-old former Barcelona midfielder said that he would be in the Big Apple for a year, living a regular life, taking his three children to school, learning English and “getting to know the city.”One of his former players at Barcelona, new AC Milan recruit Bojan Krkic, fed the rumor mill last month when he said that “someone” at his old team told him Guardiola was interested in coaching the Italian club.Guardiola’s agent has denied any possible moves to Bayern Munich or the Brazilian national team.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000MEXICO CITY, September 21 – Former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola insisted Friday that he is happy living the family life in New York for now as he kept the guessing game about his future in football wide open.Speculation is rife about the next job of the man who won everything at Barcelona since he decided to take a break from the sport after coaching his last game in May.last_img read more

Kilmarnock’s Greg Kiltie ruled out for season with hamstring knock

first_imgKilmarnock have suffered a huge injury blow after attacker Greg Kiltie was ruled out for the rest of the season.The forward will undergo surgery on a hamstring injury, which has restricted him to just five appearances so far this term.Kiltie, 19, limped off after an hour of Saturday’s 4-0 loss against Aberdeen with manager Lee Clark confirming the player won’t be able to play any further part in the club’s campaign.Clark told the Kilmarnock Standard: “I spoke to Greg at length on Saturday morning and he was keen to start the game. Kiltie made his debut in May 2013 and played a key part in maintaining the club’s Premiership status with two goals in the play-off second leg victory over Falkirk in May 2016. “I didn’t know how long he’d last but we always had the 60-minute mark no matter what stage the game was at. “I thought he came through that with flying colours. But he’s still feeling the injury. “Between himself and the medical team they’ve decided it’s not going to be sensible to carry on trying to play. “So he’ll have an operation in London on Saturday and will miss the remainder of the season.”last_img read more