Judge signs protective order over materials feds to turn over to jailed financier Jeffrey Epstein

first_imgChristine Cornell(NEW YORK) — Federal prosecutors in New York overseeing the case against millionaire Jeffrey Epstein are preparing to hand over highly-sensitive investigative material to the financier’s defense attorneys after a federal judge on Friday granted the government’s request to place a protective order on the documents.Prosecutors sought the order because, they said in court filings, they intends to produce documents and materials that could…”affect the privacy and confidentiality of individuals…[and that] would impede, if prematurely disclosed, the Government’s ongoing investigation of uncharged individuals.”When Epstein secured a non-prosecution agreement with federal prosecutors in southern Florida in 2008 over a previous investigation, the much-criticized deal also immunized any and all potential co-conspirators, known or unknown, and also included the names of four women who had been suspected by authorities of having facilitated or participated in alleged crimes against children.The deal, which is currently under review by the Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility, allowed Epstein to plead guilty to two state counts and avoid federal charges for an allegedly broad pattern of similar conduct.Throughout the negotiations — and for nearly a year after the agreement was signed — the victims were kept in the dark, their attorneys said, claiming they were strung along as government lawyers promised victims they were still investigating even long after they had cut the deal with Epstein.One of Epstein’s accusers in that investigation, Courtney Wild, identified in court documents as “Jane Doe 1,” sued the Department of Justice in 2008, alleging that the non-prosecution agreement reached with Epstein by federal prosecutors in South Florida was hatched in violation of the Crime Victims’ Rights Act, which enumerates the rights afforded to victims in federal criminal cases, including the right “to reasonable, accurate, and timely notice of any public court proceeding, or any parole proceeding, involving the crime or of any release or escape of the accused.”In February of this year, U.S. District Court Judge Kenneth Marra ruled in favor of Wild and other Epstein accusers, finding that the federal government failed to confer with the victims in advance of the deal. Marra is now considering the possible remedies for the violation, which could potentially include tearing up the non-prosecutions agreement.Epstein, 66 — who at one time socialized with former President Bill Clinton, Great Britain’s Prince Andrew, and President Donald Trump — was arrested on July 6 for alleged sex trafficking of minor girls in Florida and New York. Some of the charges date back to the early 2000s.He was indicted on a child sex trafficking and conspiracy charges in which prosecutors charge that he “sexually exploited and abused dozens of minor girls at his homes in Manhattan, New York, and Palm Beach, Florida, among other locations,” using cash payments to recruit a “vast network of underage victims,” some of whom were as young as 14-years-old.Epstein has pleaded not guilty to the latest charges and his defense attorneys have argued in court that the new indictment is tantamount to “double jeopardy,” the constitutional right that prevents a person from being tried on the same (or similar) charges twice, based on the same facts, following a valid acquittal or conviction.“It is our belief that this is basically a re-do,” Epstein defense attorney Reid Weingarten told the judge at a bail hearing earlier this month. “This is basically the feds today, not happy with what happened in the decision that led to the NPA, redoing the same conduct that was investigated 10 years ago and calling it, instead of prostitution, calling it sex trafficking. We think that is the heart of everything, and that will be the centerpiece of our defense.”At the same hearing, prosecutors claimed Epstein tried to buy off potential witnesses and charged that he had demonstrated a “willingness to use intimidation and aggressive tactics in connection with a criminal investigation.” Prosecutors allege that late last year Epstein wired $100,000 from a trust account to a person who had been named in the 2008 case as a possible co-conspirator of Epstein’s and then three days later wired $250,000 to another suspected co-conspirator.Epstein defense attorney Reid Weingarten did not respond at the time to an ABC News request for comment on prosecutors’ claims of potential witness tampering.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Win Der Golem on Blu-ray

first_imgCredit: Eureka EntertainmentEureka Entertainment to release Der Golem; Paul Wegener and Carl Boese’s classic silent horror, as part of The Masters of Cinema Series for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK, from a brand new 4K restoration on 18th November 2019. Presented with a Limited Edition Slipcase [First Print Run of 2000 copies only].An iconic early horror masterpiece, Der Golem was Paul Wegener’s third attempt at adapting the Golem character for the big screen. Starring and co-directing with Carl Boese, Wegener crafted one of silent cinema’s most enduring masterpieces.In the Jewish ghetto in 16th century Prague, Rabbi Low (Albert Streinruck, Asphalt) creates a forbidding clay Golem (played by director Paul Wegener) to protect his people from the tyrannical Emperor Luhois (Otto Gebuhr). Brought to life with a demon spirit and an amulet placed in the centre of the creature’s chest, the Golem is a seemingly indestructible juggernaut, performing acts of great heroism. But when the Rabbi’s assistant attempts to control the Golem for selfish gain, it becomes a terrifying force of destruction, rampaging through the ghetto leaving fire and death in its wake.A landmark film in the horror canon, influencing most notably James Whale’s 1931 adaptation of Frankenstein, Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam is also a pre-eminent example of German Expressionism, and an important contribution to the golden age of Weimar Cinema. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film in its UK debut on Blu-ray from a brand new 4K restoration.Der Golem, the iconic German horror, is released Monday 18th November on Blu-ray and can be purchased at https://amzn.to/2LS6oHC.To celebrate the release of Der Golem, we have have 3 copies on Blu-ray to give away. Enter below for a chance to win… The competition is open to all UK residents over the age of 18.Winners will be selected at random.By entering into the competition all entrants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions.Entertainment Focus does not allow collective or proxy entries.Entertainment Focus reserves the right to change or withdraw this competition without notice.Entertainment Focus will not pass your details to any third parties and they will be used solely for communication regarding this competition.Winners will be notified via email or social media and prizes must be claimed within 5 working days.Winners will be selected at random.In the unlikely event the prize style has discontinued a similar model to the same value will be provided.There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.Entertainment Focus’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into. The competition closes at 23.59 (GMT) on Thirsday 21st November 2019.Terms & Conditionslast_img read more

Nigeria to pay up arrears to former Niger Delta militants

first_imgLIONEL HEALING/AFP/Getty ImagesThe amnesty deal signed some 8 years back gives each ex militant in Nigeria about two $ 213 dollars monthly stipend and some vocational training. But erratic payments have been at the center of wrangles between the Nigerian government and ex-militants.President Buhari initially suspended it and only resumed payments after some protests from the ex-militants.Although some payments were made in January but the ex-militants complained some allowances were omitted.Attacks by militants have cut Nigeria’s crude oil exports by 700,000 barrels per day.The government has been in talks with various groups in the Niger delta, however, those talks have not reached a final conclusion, it has yielded some relative calm and production output has been recovering.But the militants are accusing government of dishonesty, and recently threatened to resume attacks oil pipelines.It is not clear if some ex combatants are among those issuing threats but the directive to settle all outstanding areas and call for calm suggest they could be.last_img read more

GAME NOTES: Argos ready to take on No. 2 Alabama Huntsville

first_imgGAME NOTES: Argos ready to take on No. 2 Alabama Huntsville Share UWF (18-12, 7-4 GSC) faces No. 2 Alabama Huntsville (Photo by Bill Stockland) center_img PENSACOLA, Fla. – The University of West Florida softball program is back on the road this weekend and will face the second rank team in the nation in Alabama Huntsville. The Argonauts will face off with the Chargers Friday, March 14 for a doubleheader starting at 3 p.m. CT and then take on UAH on more time on Saturday, March 15 for the series decider at 1 p.m. CT.Live CoverageLive Stats at No. 2 UAHLive Audio at No. 2 UAHGame NotesWeek SevenWeekly RecapThe Argonauts are returning to conference action after sweeping Union (Tenn.) University at home last weekend. UWF defeated the Lady Bulldogs in game one 8-0 in five innings and in game two 4-3. West Florida then came out the next day and downed Union 4-1.The Argos also played a midweek match-up against NAIA opponent Morningside before the weekends play. UWF swept the Mustangs two games to zero at home. West Florida is currently on a five game winning streak, their second longest of the season.Leading the way for the Argos during the week was senior Caroline Kaston (Niceville, Fla.) who hit .563 in five games, including three RBI and one double with four stolen bases.GSC Pitcher of the WeekUniversity of West Florida senior softball pitcher Taylor Bailey (Austin, Texas) has been named the Gulf South Conference Pitcher of the Week. This marks the first time the Argonaut has earned this award this season and the second time in her career.She earns the award after she made four appearances over the weekend and tallied four wins with one coming in relief. She only allowed four runs over 22 innings pitched, and struck out a league high 18 batters while only walking four all weekend.Bailey started off her week with a win against Morningside, March 4, and then pitched a two hit complete game in the series opener against Union (Tenn.). She then picked up the win in game two after pitching four innings in relief and only allowed two hits. The senior started the last game of the series where she pitched all seven innings, only allowing one run and six hits.So far this season, Bailey is 9-5 with a 2.68 ERA and is second in the GSC in wins, third in strikeouts (63), and sixth in ERA and innings pitched.Print Friendly Versionlast_img read more

Cleveland chosen to host NFL Draft in 2021

first_img Related Topics2021 NFL DraftClevelandCleveland BrownsDee HaslamfeaturedJimmy HaslamRoger Goodell For years the NFL Draft was considered the Super Bowl for the Browns and the team’s fans. Now, the franchise’s city will host the NFL’s offseason crown jewel.NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the selection of Cleveland as the host city for the 2021 NFL Draft on Wednesday, at the league’s spring meetings in Key Biscayne, Fla. Kansas City was chosen to host the event in 2023. Both the Cleveland Browns organization and the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission had a hand in helping the city earn the bid.Cleveland was in the mix host the 2019 and 2020 NFL Drafts as well, with a proposal that incorporated Canton and the Pro Football Hall of Fame into the weekend of festivities. Ultimately Nashville and Las Vegas were chosen to host the drafts in those years.Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam called the opportunity an “exceptional” one for Northeast Ohio.“We are incredibly honored to be able to showcase the City of Cleveland and the passion of Browns fans through the unique international platform the NFL Draft provides,” they ownership duo said. “This is an exceptional opportunity for Northeast Ohio that even extends beyond football, and we look forward to continuing the work ahead with Greater Cleveland Sports Commission, the City of Cleveland, Destination Cleveland and the NFL to ensure that the 2021 NFL Draft is truly memorable for Northeast Ohio and football fans across the world.”For more than a decade the NFL held the draft at Radio City Music Hall in New York City before deciding to first started taking the show on the road to various host cities in 2015. Chicago was first to host the event in back-to-back years in 2015-2016. Their next stops were in Philadelphia in 2017 and Dallas in 2018 before it invaded Nashville last monthNashville saw a record attendance of more than 600,000 people flood the streets outside the main stage to be part of the experience. Serving as the host city produced an economic boom in each of those respective sites. In fact, just this week Nashville announced that the economic impact on their city was $132.8 million. And while Cleveland may not be the tourist destination that Nashville has become, the draft will bring a massive economic impact to the area nonetheless.“Cleveland is honored to be selected as the host city for the 2021 NFL Draft and we are excited to once again show the world that this city can set a standard for hosting some of the world’s largest events,” President and CEO of Greater Cleveland Sports Commission, David Gilbert said. “This event will provide international media exposure and has proven to provide more than $100 million in economic impact to the host city. We look forward to showing NFL fans across the nation how Cleveland throws a party.”It’s expected that the three day spectacle will take place throughout downtown Cleveland and is sure to include all the bells and whistles. In successfully hosting the Republican National Convention in 2016, the city of Cleveland proved to the world that it can handle massive tourist attractions. Add the NFL Draft to the list of big events coming to town. In a few months, the MLB All-Star Game will be played over at Progressive Field and earlier this year the NBA chose Cleveland to host their All-Star Game in 2022.Cleveland is just the place to be right now! Spencer Germanlast_img read more