Phil Jackson thinks Kobe plays on, but maybe not with Lakers

first_imgWith Bryant going into the last season of his contract and coming off a couple of injury-shortened seasons, his future will be one of the biggest questions around the NBA this season.“I don’t think it’s his last year,” Jackson said Friday. “Sounds like it may be his last year as a Laker.”Jackson, who coached Bryant to five NBA championships with the Lakers, is now the Knicks’ president of basketball operations. He said he sent Bryant a message last month for his 37th birthday.Bryant has played his entire career with the Lakers after they acquired his rights from Charlotte in the 1996 draft. He was limited to six games in 2013-14 because of Achilles and knee injuries, and made it through only 35 last season before shoulder surgery.He isn’t expected to decide on his future until after this season. The Lakers are still planning how they will monitor Bryant’s minutes in his 20th season.Bryant is the NBA’s No. 3 career scorer, and there would likely be interest if he wants to play on — perhaps even from the Knicks. Jackson is rebuilding a club that went 17-65 last season and could use scoring help beyond Carmelo Anthony.“With Kobe, he’s had two seasons aborted because of injuries,” Jackson said. “I think he’s going to be really better than people think, and I think there will still be a future for him as he goes through this season and into next year, where people will ask, ‘Do you still want to play basketball?’ So we’ll see how it goes.”,With Bryant going into the last season of his contract and coming off a couple of injury-shortened seasons, his future will be one of the biggest questions around the NBA this season.“I don’t think it’s his last year,” Jackson said Friday. “Sounds like it may be his last year as a Laker.”Jackson, who coached Bryant to five NBA championships with the Lakers, is now the Knicks’ president of basketball operations. He said he sent Bryant a message last month for his 37th birthday.Bryant has played his entire career with the Lakers after they acquired his rights from Charlotte in the 1996 draft. He was limited to six games in 2013-14 because of Achilles and knee injuries, and made it through only 35 last season before shoulder surgery.He isn’t expected to decide on his future until after this season. The Lakers are still planning how they will monitor Bryant’s minutes in his 20th season.Bryant is the NBA’s No. 3 career scorer, and there would likely be interest if he wants to play on — perhaps even from the Knicks. Jackson is rebuilding a club that went 17-65 last season and could use scoring help beyond Carmelo Anthony.“With Kobe, he’s had two seasons aborted because of injuries,” Jackson said. “I think he’s going to be really better than people think, and I think there will still be a future for him as he goes through this season and into next year, where people will ask, ‘Do you still want to play basketball?’ So we’ll see how it goes.” Phil Jackson doubts this is Kobe Bryant’s final season, though he thinks it may be Bryant’s last in Los Angeles.— AP Photo/David ZalubowskiGREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) — Phil Jackson doubts this is Kobe Bryant’s final season — though thinks it may be Bryant’s last in Los Angeles.last_img read more

Man sentenced to 650 years to life for carjacking kidnapping

first_img VISTA (KUSI) – A man who carjacked and kidnapped a father and son at gunpoint in Encinitas, as well as taking part in an extensive North County burglary spree, was sentenced today to almost 650 years to life in state prison.Joseph Martin Ramos, 37, was convicted last fall by a Vista jury and sentenced Friday morning on charges related to the kidnapping and burglaries, as well as a number of strike convictions.Ramos was taken into custody in October of 2016, an incident that ended with him being shot by a sheriff’s deputy near Beacons Beach in Encinitas.Prosecutors say Ramos was spotted earlier that day by deputies who recognized him as a suspect in a series of residential burglaries during which firearms had been stolen.Ramos sped away from law enforcement, triggering a pursuit. He drove to the intersection of Manchester Avenue and South Rancho Santa Fe Road, where he abandoned his pickup, ran into a nearby parking lot and confronted a man who was buckling his 7-year-old son into a child safety seat in a silver two-door Scion.Prosecutors say Ramos pointed to a pistol tucked in his waistband and demanded that the father drive him away from the area. The victim complied, driving to the west and north as Ramos threatened him with the handgun periodically.Near Beacons Beach, sheriff’s personnel caught up to the commandeered car and pulled the driver over. Ramos exited the car with the handgun drawn and was shot by a sheriff’s deputy.In addition to the kidnapping counts, which carried sentences of life with the possibility of parole, he was also convicted for a string of home burglaries between May and October 2016. Due to several of the convicted counts being strikes, Ramos received 25-year-to-life terms for each burglary and attempted burglary charge, according to prosecutors. Man sentenced to 650 years to life for carjacking, kidnapping KUSI Newsroom, May 10, 2019 Posted: May 10, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom last_img read more

China launches domestically built aircraft carrier Media

first_imgChina has launched its first domestically designed and built aircraft carrier, state media said Wednesday, as the country seeks to transform its navy into a force capable of projecting power onto the high seas.Beijing has embarked on an extensive project to build a “blue water” navy and modernise its two million-strong military, the world’s largest.The country’s rapidly expanding military might includes a range of maritime defence capabilities, a fleet of attack submarines, and highly sophisticated anti-aircraft systems that prevent enemy vessels from nearing its coast.Chinese President Xi Jinping has said that “all must be done” to improve the country’s battle capacities so it can “fight and win wars.”Adorned with colourful ribbons, the Type 001A ship “transferred from dry dock into the water at a launch ceremony” in the northeastern port city of Dalian, according to official broadcaster CCTV.The ribbon-cutting was followed by the traditional breaking of a champagne bottle on the ship’s bow.China’s defence ministry has previously said the new carrier would displace 50,000 tonnes and use conventional rather than nuclear propulsion.It is expected to carry China’s indigenous J-15 aircraft, along with other planes.China is eager to show its strength in the South China Sea, where it insists on sovereignty over virtually all the resource-rich waters despite rival claims from its Southeast Asian neighbours.It has extensively reclaimed reefs and installed military and other facilities including airstrips on some outcrops, dismissing an international tribunal’s ruling last year that rejected China’s claims to the disputed areas.- Symbolic event -Analysts said the ship represented a “status symbol” for Beijing in a contested region but posed little threat to advanced US carriers.”The launch of the new aircraft carrier is primarily a symbolic event because it will take about two years for the vessel to be equipped and to make its first real tests overboard,” according to Juliette Genevaz, China researcher at the France-based Military School Strategic Research Institute.Nevertheless, Genevaz said, it is a “technological leap” for China as it signals the development of more native aircraft carriers in the future.The Type 001A is China’s second carrier. The first, the Liaoning, is a secondhand Soviet ship built nearly 30 years ago and commissioned in 2012 after extensive refits.The possession of a native aircraft carrier places China among the few military powers with such vessels, including the United States, Russia and the United Kingdom.But experts were quick to point out that China’s naval force still lags far behind that of the US, the world’s leading military power which has multiple carriers.James Char, China military analyst at Singapore’s S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, said the new vessel will serve as more of a “status symbol” for China in the East and South China seas, where the Liaoning conducted its first live fire drill in December.”It is highly unlikely to pose a threat to the US if you look at how advanced American aircraft carriers are,” Char said.Users on the Weibo social network expressed delight at the launch of the Type 001A.”This great moment will be written in the glorious history of China,” wrote one commenter.”We are going to make a solid and important step forward into the deep sea.”Others hoped China would soon match the capabilities of US carriers: “I really hope that we can catch up with them and then set off firecrackers to celebrate!”last_img read more

AT our recent away match at Salford a Saints suppo

first_imgAT our recent away match at Salford a Saints supporter had his trainers damaged and received a foot injury due to the activation of a flare by an individual in the North Stand at the AJ Bell Stadium.Flares and the like are prohibited from all stadia and any person found in possession will be banned for life.The Club run the risk of being disciplined and fined which is unacceptable.Increased searches will be implemented in future which impact on all supporters.Any information regarding the identity of the person(s) responsible could possibly save the club any punitive action.last_img