Utah Utes basketball: Team ready for first ‘official’ exhibition game

first_img Related Utah-TCU tilt puts Utes in spotlight ESPN will be in SLC for ‘GameDay’ ’08 victory convinced Wynncenter_img New Utah uniforms support troops SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah men’s basketball team tips off its season Friday night when Adams State, a Division II team from Colorado, visits the Huntsman Center for a 7 p.m. exhibition contest. The season officially begins the following Friday when another Division II team, Grand Canyon, plays the Utes in the Huntsman Center.Actually the Utes have already played a game, but no one is supposed to know about it. The Utes went to Tucson over the weekend and played a secret game against the University of Arizona. The gym was completely empty except for the players, coaches and a couple of security guards. No stats were kept, although the teams were allowed to film the game.Because of strict NCAA rules, Utah coach Jim Boylen can’t say anything about the actual game, but the Utes played well and he offered, “It was a great learning experience and hopefully we can grow from it.”College teams are allowed to play two exhibition games every year, but are also allowed to use one of them to play another college team in a “practice” game. Under Boylen, the Utes have done this the past two years, playing the University of Colorado at the Huntsman Center and in Boulder.GETTING BETTER: With nine new players, it has been a challenge so far this season, but Boylen believes his team is progressing well, three weeks into official practice time.”We’re starting to grasp the concepts of our foundation — that we can play full speed and do it,” he said. “We’re starting to understand how hard you have to play at this level. We’ve adjusted better to the pace of practice.”Newcomers Josh Watkins and Will Clyburn continue to shine in practice along with returning forward Shawn Glover. Sophomore center Jason Washburn and freshman J.J. O’Brien are getting time with the first team as projected starters David Foster and Jay Watkins are sitting out with nagging injuries.The Utes added a pair of walk-ons this week from tryouts in October — Seth Tippetts, a 6-8 forward from Sandy, and Michael Hodgman, a guard from California.REDSHIRTS: Boylen said he won’t make any announcements about players who will be redshirting until next week before the first game.As many as four of the 15 players could be redshirted with freshman walk-ons Neal Monson and Josh Fuller, who are planning on LDS missions after the year, almost certain to be. The other two most likely redshirts are freshmen guards Preston Guiot from Missouri and Dominique Lee from California. Neither is expected to crack the Utes’ nine-man playing rotation and might be better off saving a year of eligibility.Boylen said it’s a decision between him, the player and his family.”Some coaches don’t like to redshirt a guy, because it locks up a scholarship in the program for another year but I’ve been open to it because I’ve been asked to build a program,” Boylen said.Three players from Boylen’s first recruiting class redshirted, including Washburn, Chris Hines and Josh Sharp, who is serving an LDS mission. Last year, forward Jeremy Olsen redshirted before going on a mission.TICKETS: Men’s basketball single-game tickets went on sale Monday. Fans can purchase tickets on the web at www.utahutes.com, by phone at 801-581-UTIX or in-person at the Rice-Eccles Ticket Office.Utah will also offer several ticket packages, which are on sale now. Season tickets in the lower bowl are available starting at $199. Single-game tickets start at $15 in the lower bowl.Season tickets in Section F are also available now for $99. “Section F” is Utah’s designated zone behind the west basket for the loudest and most active fans.Also anyone purchasing season tickets for the 2010-11 season will receive first priority in 2011-12 when Utah enters the Pac-12.e-mail: sor@desnews.comlast_img read more

GECOM stalling democracy

first_imgOn December 21st, 2018 the successful passage of the historic no-confidence motion (NCM) brought by the Opposition PPP against the PNC-led coalition government triggered the compulsory holding of national and regional elections to determine a new government, in accordance with the mandate given by Art 106 (6) (7) of the Constitution, the highest law of the land. As such, it also became necessary for the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) to make preparations for such elections, in accordance with its mandate.The government sadly, backtracked on its initial acceptance of the consequences of the NCM and took recourse to the courts; a move the Opposition immediately labelled as a delaying tactic to allow them to remain in office beyond the Constitutionally stipulated three months. In order to avoid a constitutional crisis brought on by the intransigence of the PNC-led government, the Leader of the Opposition met with President David Granger to discuss a way forward. One agreement reached was that without any prejudice, the Chief Whips of the two parties would meet with GECOM to discuss the modalities of holding elections in three months.To its credit, the High Court accepted the urgency of the cases brought before it and declared it would issue a judgement on each of the four limbs the government had cited in its delaying maneuvers, by January 31st. This would then remove the legal impediment in the way of executing Art 106. But it was not a coincidence that GECOM did not follow the lead of the Courts to expeditiously address the matter of its readiness for holding elections within the three months deadline.The CEO of GECOM asserted he could not meet with the two Whips unless and until instructed to do so by the GECOM Chairman. This 85-year old gentleman, who had been unilaterally appointed to his position by President Granger as “fit and proper”, had not been on the job for weeks and announced he would not be available until late in January.In the meantime, one would have thought if the CEO, who actually does not need permission to meet with anyone since he is in charge of the GECOM Secretariat, which actually conducts elections, would have set into motion the process by which all the different aspects of the exercise would have been placed on a timeline.After all, GECOM had been conducting local and general elections since 1992 and would have created templates on which the new variable of time would be inserted. But when the Chairman finally showed up for work more than a month after the no-confidence motion was transmuted into a binding resolution, the CEO refused to issue any timelines. The meeting became mired in an acrimonious back and forting between the Government and Opposition Commissioners over what was and was not possible for elections by end March 2019.This Gordian knot, created by the Government in its desperate rearguard move to stave off elections, could easily have been resolved by the GECOM CEO, with a statement of what exactly was the situation in terms of GECOM preparedness, which had always been premised as a process that was continuously in motion. One Opposition Commissioner, however, had elaborated on accelerated timelines for such facets as claims and objections to cull persons who had expired along with a new registration process to capture new voters, and had demonstrated that the end March deadline could still be met. A priori, however, the government Commissioners denied these contingencies and insisted that since the present list of voters would expire in April 2019, a completely new “house to house” registration process was demanded.At this juncture of the impasse, the Chairman could have placed the matter to a vote in which he would have had to exercise his casting vote, but he refused to do so and abruptly concluded the meeting. So the institution that was created to ensure the procedural aspect of democracy be complied with, has now worked to deny it.last_img read more