Five more illnesses reported in new DRC Ebola outbreakOfficials reported five more illnesses and three more deaths in a new Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), according to figures reported today by the country’s multisectoral Ebola response committee (CMRE).The new developments raise the outbreak total to 17 cases, 14 of them confirmed and 3 listed as probable. The new deaths raise the fatality count to 11.The World Health Organization (WHO) said last week in its latest situation report that the outbreak has affected six health areas in three health zones: Mbandaka, Wangata, and Bikoro. Sequencing suggests that it is not related to the larger ongoing outbreak in the eastern part of the country, where the total stands at 3,463 cases, 2.280 of them fatal. If no new cases are reported by Jun 25, the larger outbreak will be declared over.Jun 14 CMRE report Jun 8 WHO situation report PAHO warns of the COVID-19’s impact on malaria control in the AmericasA new report from the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) says malaria cases are on the decline in several South American countries, but warns that the COVID-19 pandemic is having an impact on the region’s malaria elimination efforts.Overall, the region saw a decline in the number confirmed cases from the first 18 weeks of 2019 through the first 18 weeks of 2020, led by a 58% reduction in Venezuela. Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Guyana, Ecuador, Guatemala, and Mexico have also seen decreases. But while a decline in malaria was being observed in those countries prior to the pandemic, the arrival of the coronavirus may be reducing case-detection activities and care-seeking for suspected malaria.In addition, PAHO reports that several malaria-endemic areas, such as the State of Amazonas in Brazil, have been hit hard by COVID-19, with high incidence and mortality rates.Based on a recent WHO analysis in sub-Saharan Africa of the potential effects of COVID-19 on malaria incidence and mortality, the group estimates that. in the worst-case scenario of a 75% disruption in access to malaria services and treatment, there could be a 20% increase in cases and a 100% increase in deaths compared with 2018.”As the dispersion of COVID-19 transmission increases, the situation in all the mostly rural malarial areas will become more critical, given the high vulnerability of the populations and the weaknesses of the healthcare systems,” the report said.Despite the overall reduction in malaria cases observed in the region, Haiti, Nicaragua, Panama, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Costa Rica, and Suriname all saw an increase in malaria, with cases in Panama rising by 238%.The report urges countries in the region to “maintain continuity of actions against malaria in line with national pandemic response arrangements.”Jun 10 PAHO report PAHO: Dengue, other arbovirus infections down a bit from 2019In the first half of 2020, dengue and other arbovirus illnesses in the Americas have declined about 10% compared with the same time in 2019, which was an epidemic year, PAHO said in a recent update.Of 1,645,678 cases, 97.3% were dengue infections. The total also includes 37,279 chikungunya cases and 7,452 Zika infections. Brazil has the highest proportion of dengue case, with 65%. Others affected areas are Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina, and Colombia, with Honduras, Colombia, and Brazil having the highest number of severe cases.All four serotypes are circulating in Brazil, Colombia, and Mexico, with six countries or territories reporting the circulating of three serotype combinations. So far, the Americas region has reported 553 dengue deaths.For chikungunya, 11 of 24 countries reported cases, but 95% of the cases and all 8 deaths were in Brazil. Among all Zika cases, 86% this year have been in Brazil.Jun 10 PAHO epidemiologic update
New Mexico Supreme Court Building at 237 Don Gaspar Ave. in Santa Fe. Courtesy photoCOURT News: SANTA FE – The live streaming of the Supreme Court hearing in a case concerning June Primary Election procedures begins at 1:30 p.m., today … click here to watch: YouTube channel.This will be the first hearing by the New Mexico Supreme Court conducted by video conferencing.Attorneys in the case will appear by video using the Judiciary’s audio-video system. Justice Barbara Vigil also will participate by video. Chief Justice Judith Nakamura, Justice Michael Vigil and retired Justices Richard Bosson and Edward Chávez will be present in the courtroom of the Supreme Court Building in Santa Fe. The in-person attendance will be strictly limited to comply with gathering restrictions and courtroom seating will be configured to meet social distancing requirements.The retired justices were designated to participate in the case after Justices C. Shannon Bacon and David K. Thomson recused from the case. At Tuesday’s hearing, the Court is considering a petition by a group of county clerks seeking a court order to conduct the June 2 primary election by mail because of public health risks from the COVID-19 outbreak.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe now for unlimited access To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community
One contract is from Baerfield Drilling LLC to transport the semi-submersible rig ‘SS Amazonia’ from Yantai, China to Angra Dos Reis, Brazil. The rig will be transported using the float-on, float-off method, and is scheduled to commence at the beginning of Q2 2011.In addition, Dockwise will be transporting the Jack up rig ‘Ben Avon’ for KCA Deutag PTE Limited. After loading the rig in Port Gentil, Gabon, the vessel will remain at the loading location to serve as a semi-submersible dry dock facility and provide for planned dry docking operations to be concluded on the ‘Ben Avon’.Dockwise will also transport EMAS Offshore Pte Ltd’s ‘Lewek Chancellor’ accommodation barge to Luanda, Angola. Execution of this contract has started in Q1 2011.Other contract awards include the transports of a barge, four jack-up rigs, and a crane barge to various locations in Q1 and Q2 2011.Goedée stated: “Trading in the first quarter has been disappointingly quiet. Only as the period draws to a close are we starting to see a return to more usual levels of spot market activity than those experienced so far in 2011. Enquiry levels are now steadily translating into booked contracts for the second quarter and beyond.”
ALE received the two 830 tonne vessels at Mina Zayed Port using two self-propelled modular transport (SPMT) in 4-file, 12-axle; and, 4-file, 14-axle split trailer configurations. Measuring 98 m long x 8.5 m wide x 8 m high, the vessels were the largest ever handled in this port says ALE. Each vessel was lashed down, then directly loaded out to the ALE 300 barge then lashed and secured to the barge. “A special feature of ALE 300 is its above-standard deck loading capacity of 20 tonnes per square metre,” commented Richard Peckover, executive director of ALE – Middle East. “This maximises load capacity and minimises load spreading requirements, setting a new standard for efficiency in barge loading operations.” After load-in at the Ruwais Industrial Area Services Harbour, the de-methaniser vessels underwent a ‘jack and pack’ operation. Using the SPMTs’ integral jacking stroke, each vessel was jacked up from 1.6 metres under the saddles to 3.1 metres in order to change to a bolster – or turn table – configuration. The SPMTs were then fitted with heavy-duty bolster turn tables and load spreading for land transportation along Highway E11. “Transporting the vessels from Ruwais to the first parking area 12 km from the city required a purpose built road, which was constructed in coordination with Ruwais authorities, as well as a purpose-built section of the central reservation on the highway,” said Cameron Waugh, general manager at ALE “Once we reached the first parking area we then had to change the SPMTs to a split trailer configuration to meet Department of Transport guidelines for the remainder of the journey along the highway.” The 100 km to Habshan took seven nights and required ALE to negotiate road works, bypasses, overhead gantries and sign boards. On reaching the final parking area, the transport configuration was changed back to a bolster configuration to meet site access restrictions and manoeuvring requirements for the remaining 20 km. “The final transport through the site, in coordination with Abu Dhabi Critical National Infrastructure Authority, was conducted in daylight hours with a total of three km negotiated along a purpose-built route to the delivery position and foundation,” said Cameron.The entire transport took 21 days. ALE initiated the build of the ALE 300 in June 2010 as an addition to its fleet in the Middle East. It also recently invested in the 600-tonne capacity Terex Demag CC2800-1 crawler crane – which began work in July 2011 – for use in the region.
Flo Krause (instructed by Scott-Moncrieff and Associates LLP) for the claimant; Christopher Mellor (instructed by Hempsons) for the first defendant; Galina Ward (instructed by the Treasury solicitor) for the secretary of state. R (on the application of Hall) v University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and another: Queen’s Bench Division, Divisional Court: 8 February 2013 Prison – Prison conditions – Disabled prisoner The claimant had pleaded guilty to being knowingly concerned in the fraudulent evasion of the prohibition on the importation of a class A drug and had been sentenced to three years’ imprisonment. He suffered from Friedreich’s ataxia, which affected many of the major systems of the body, causing progressive disablement. He required two assistants to be in attendance on him for 24 hours a day. Accordingly, while in prison he was in a hospital wing for which the second defendant secretary of state was responsible. In August 2012, the claimant commenced judicial review proceedings, contending that the prison regime to which he was subject amounted to inhuman and degrading treatment contrary to articles 3 and 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights. He was shortly afterwards transferred to a hospital for which the first defendant was responsible. In December 2012, the hospital informed the claimant that he was fit to be discharged and it proposed to discharge him back to the prison. The claimant initiated a second claim for judicial review on the basis that discharge back to the prison would put his life at risk in breach of article 2 of the convention. He further contended that the prison had breached its obligation under the Equality Act 2010 (the 2010 act) to make reasonable adjustments to ensure compliance with its duty not to discriminate against him on the ground of his disability by not making available various equipment and facilities to him, and by detaining him (as a category C prisoner) in a category B prison. On that ground, the only relief sought by the claimant was a declaration that the prison had acted unlawfully. The court, sitting as the Court of Appeal, Criminal Division, simultaneously heard an appeal against the claimant’s sentence and gave a judgment reducing the claimant’s sentence to the period he had already served (see  All ER (D) 92 (Feb)). It fell to be determined: (i) whether the claimant’s treatment in prison had been in breach of his rights under article 2 of the convention; (ii) whether the claimant’s treatment in prison had been in breach of his rights under articles 3 and 8 of the convention; and (iii) whether the prison had breached its obligations under the 2010 act. The application would be dismissed. (1) It was settled law that the duty under article 2 of the convention included, in the context of persons detained by the state, an obligation to preserve life and to provide the necessary care to preserve life. However, article 2 of the convention was only engaged where there was a real and immediate risk of death (see  of the judgment). In the instant case, there was no possible evidential basis whatsoever for the assertion that the claimant had been at imminent risk of death whilst in the prison in July and August 2012, and/or that his treatment in that period had reduced his life expectancy or that he would be at such risk if he was returned there (see  of the judgment). (2) The claimant’s claim under article 3 of the convention was not arguable. There were no clear markers that article 3 of the convention was engaged. In the light of the claimant’s medical condition, detaining him and providing him with the care that he had needed had been clearly challenging for the prison. However, merely because the level of care he had received had fallen below that to which he had been accustomed did not make it contrary to his human rights. Looking at the treatment to which he had been subject at the prison as a whole, it had clearly fallen far short of the minimum level of severity that article 3 of the convention required, even given the claimant’s state of health and the fact of his detention by the state. Further, it was difficult to see how article 8 of the convention had any relevance and how a claim under article 8 of the convention could succeed where the claim under article 3 of the convention had failed. None of the matters relied upon by the claimant arguably engaged or breached article 8 of the convention (see ,  of the judgment). (3) The evidence had not established that the prison had acted unlawfully in any respect. Furthermore, as the only relief sought had been a declaration and, as a result of the court’s decision as the Court of Appeal, Criminal Division, the claimant would not be discharged by the hospital to the prison, in the exercise of the court’s discretion, any relief would be inappropriate (see  of the judgment).
A ‘substantial number’ of individuals have not yet completed their applications to remain on the roll, the Solicitors Regulation Authority said.The deadline for this year’s keeping of the roll exercise is Wednesday, 2 July.
MEXICO: President Felipe Calderon announced the start of tendering for a 45-year build and operate concession covering the planned US$5bn Punta Colonet port and railway project on August 28. The centrepiece will be a container port for trans-Pacific cargo which is to be built on the lightly populated west coast of the Baja California peninsula, about 240 km south of the US border. Four routes have been proposed for a railway running around 350 km northeast through the rugged mountains of the peninsula to a connection with the US rail network at one of Calexico in California, El Paso in Texas, or Yuma or Nogales in Arizona. The port will have an initial annual capacity of two million containers, with expansion to six million projected within 15 years. At least three groups are thought to be preparing bids. The winner will be announced in 2009, and opening is planned for 2012-14. Union Pacific had previously joined with a Chinese partner to prepare an offer, but the agreement collapsed last year and a UP spokesman said the railway will only be monitoring the project.