Statoil evacuates workers from Hammerfest LNG terminal

first_imgNorway’s Statoil has reportedly evacuated some personnel from its Hammerfest LNG facility on Melkoya. According to Reuters, the company said the production was not affected and continued normally.Statoil’s Hammerfest LNG facility is Europe’s biggest liquefaction plant and uses gas from the Snohvit development in the Barents Sea.[mappress mapid=”16423″]LNG World News Staff; Image: Statoillast_img

Police: Indiana meth dealer received drug shipments via gift-wrapped mannequin heads

first_img Published: October 28, 2017 5:38 PM EDT MONROE COUNTY. Ind. (CBS4) Indiana State Police arrested a man accused of receiving meth shipments in the mail and dealing drugs in Monroe County.Paxton Davis faces felony charges of dealing meth and possession of meth. Police say he had 1000 grams of meth with a street value over $75,000 when they arrested him.Police say Davis received large quantities of meth in the mail. The packages contained mannequin heads that were gift-wrapped and stuffed with meth. They originated from southern California and were shipped overnight to Bloomington.Davis was previously arrested by the Indiana State Police in Monroe County in August of 2017 when he was allegedly found in possession of over 300 grams of methamphetamine, $15,000 cash, packaging material, smoking devices, needles, and 26 firearms. Two of the firearms were found to be reported stolen. That case is pending in a Monroe County Court.Anyone with information about the illegal sale of drugs can contact the Indiana State Police at (812) 332-4411. Tipsters can remain anonymous. Photo via CBS4 SHARE 1 of 3 Photo via CBS4 Photo via CBS4 Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. Police: Indiana meth dealer received drug shipments via gift-wrapped mannequin heads last_img read more

‘City specific’ training to prepare for ‘super-exam’

first_imgCity lawyers have mooted the idea of requiring some prospective solicitors to get a ‘City specific’ background by embarking on ‘LPC or GDL equivalents’ on top of the proposed new ‘super-exam’.The proposal is among several questions put to City firms in a toolkit created by the training committee at the City of London Law Society (CLLS) designed to help firms prepare for the proposed Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE).The committee has asked whether firms want to provide a GDL or LPC ‘electives equivalent’ for trainees with a non-law background and whether they would be open to creating a ‘consortium’ to procure any qualification. It also asked firms if they want to offer ‘prep’ courses to prepare for SQE 1 and SQE 2 and whether they will require trainees to pay for it.The move could fuel speculation that the SQE – a two-part exam due to be rolled out in 2020 – could lead to a ‘two-tier’ profession. The Law Society’s Junior Lawyers Division has already warned that the profession could be split between those who have taken SQE preparatory courses and those who have not.Meanwhile, in a letter to the SRA, the CLLS has reiterated its concern over training periods.Under SQE, a ‘period of recognised training’ would replace the current two-year training programme. The SRA has said this can instead be taken at any time and potentially before either stage of the exam is passed.The CLLS reiterated that it will need flexibility allowing its member firms to decide when their trainees/prospective trainees take the second stage of the exam. It warned that including a requirement about when stage 2 is taken would ‘significantly complicate’ the training process.It said: ‘Limiting that flexibility will cause very practical business difficulties for us and could negatively impact the experience of our trainees. We understand that a decision has already been made that students will have to pass SQE stage 1 before they can sit SQE stage 2. However, we think it is important that, beyond this requirement, flexibility is maintained.’Hannah Kozlova Lindsay (pictured), chair of the CLLS training committee, said it produced the toolkit as ‘a practical guide to aid planning and to ensure that City firms are well prepared for the SQE’.Edward Sparrow, chair of City of London Law Society, said: ‘These changes to qualification routes for solicitors are the most significant we have seen for 40-50 years – and are just a starting point for further change.’last_img read more

Hollywood salutes four Caribbean-Americans

first_img(L-R): Mark Walker, Francesca Harewood, and Carmen J. Smith Honorees announced for the Caribbean Heritage 2016 Salute to Hollywood and ExcellenceCelebrating June as Caribbean-American Heritage Month, four Caribbean Americans will be honored for their accomplishments in business and media at the 2016 Salute to Hollywood & Excellence gala, st for June 17 at the Hilton Universal City in Los Angeles. Selected by the Caribbean Heritage Organization (CHO) and the Institute of Caribbean Studies, DC (ICS-DC), the 2016 honorees are be celebrated for their pioneering professional accomplishments and their dedication to the progress of the Diaspora.“Each year for the Caribbean Heritage Salute to Hollywood and Excellence, the selection committee combs through rumors and minutiae to identify those among the Caribbean family, in what some term America’s most powerful industry, outside of politics – entertainment, business, and media.   This year they got it right yet again,” says Dr. Claire Nelson, the architect of Caribbean-American Heritage Month and founder of the Institute of Caribbean Studies.“The 2016 honorees are exemplars of the power of America’s immigrant journey and truly represent our pride in our contributions to American culture and society” added Marva Griffiths Herman, Founder & Executive Director for Caribbean Heritage Organization.The honorees are Mark L. Walker, SVP and General Manager for the Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media Group,  Carmen J. Smith, VP of Creative Development for Walt Disney Imagineering, Francesca Harewood, VP of Business Affairs for NBCUniversal and budding filmmaker, Dana Verde.As Vice President of Creative Development for Walt Disney Imagineering, Carmen J. Smith is responsible for developing a diverse pipeline of product and people to enhance Imagineering’s consultant talent and its creative processes. Carmen’s Caribbean roots are in Trinidad & Tobago, with links to Curaçao. Finding new ways to reach and delight a new generation of fans and families is at the top of Jamaican-American Mark Walker’s to-do list as senior vice president and general manager, Disney Interactive Media.Francesca Harewood is Vice President, Business Affairs for NBCUniversal, where she negotiates agreements for NBC prime-time scripted series and specials. She is also the business affairs executive for NBC annual specials, including “New Year’s Eve”, “Red Nose Day”, “Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks” and “Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade”; and musical specials for artists such as Adele, Miley Cyrus and One Direction. Francesca was born in Brooklyn, NY, but grew up in Dover, Christ Church, Barbados.Dana Elizabeth Verde started her entertainment career while she was an undergraduate at the New School University (NSU) pursuing her degree in Media Studies/Screenwriting.  Entering the Sundance Screenwriters Lab, her first full length feature script “The Only Black Girl” made the final round in the competition.  She completed her degree at NSU and became a script reader for Maisha Film Lab (founded by filmmaker Mira Nair) and co-hosted a TV show on MTV called “Your Movie Show” as a film reviewer.  Dana wrote the screenplay for the 2016 hit, “The Perfect Match” staring Paula Patton, Terrence Jenkins and Cassie Ventura.  The film was produced by Queen Latifah’s production company Flavor Unit and is now in theaters.  Dana’s Caribbean roots are in Cuba and Jamaica.last_img read more

Nigeria detains judges, seizes assets in graft probe

first_imgNigeria’s secret police seized hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash and assets in a series of anti-corruption raids targeting senior judges, drawing sharp condemnation on Sunday from the bar association and rights groups.During the nationwide operation, which took place on Saturday, police also detained several judges although the number was not exactly clear.The raids prompted the Nigerian Bar Association to declare a state of emergency, denouncing the “Gestapo-style” operation.In a statement, the Department of States Services (DSS) said it had seized $800 000 in cash during the operation which was launched on the basis of “allegations of corruption and professional misconduct” by a number of judges.“The searches have uncovered huge raw cash of various denominations, local and foreign currencies, with real estate worth several millions of naira and documents affirming unholy acts by these judges,” it said.A source at DSS headquarters told AFP “about four or five judges are here with us writing statements.”President Muhammadu Buhari was elected last year on an anti-corruption platform, vowing to stamp out the endemic graft that plagues the oil-rich country.But critics have accused the former military ruler of using his anti-graft crackdown to silence political opponents and crush dissent.Bar Association head Abubakar Mahmoud lashed out at Buhari over the raids.“We are not under military rule and we cannot accept this unholy event and Gestapo-style operation,” he told reporters.And a human rights and anti-corruption group urged Buhari to ensure the judges’ “immediate and unconditional release”.“We are seriously concerned about the wave of arrests, intimidation and harassment of judges across the country by the DSS,” said Adetokunbo Mumuni, chief of the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project.“While we fully support the government’s efforts to eradicate judicial corruption, we cannot accept anti-corruption strategies and methods which patently offend the rule of law and undermine the authority, integrity, sanctity and independence of the judiciary.”The DSS said it was preparing criminal cases against the judges.– AFPlast_img read more

Trinidad national shot and killed in St Lucia

first_img 21 Views   no discussions Share Share Share Sharing is caring!center_img Tweet NewsRegional Trinidad national shot and killed in St Lucia by: – November 30, 2012 St Lucia police said that the murder may have been linked to a shooting earlier this year.CASTRIES, St. Lucia, Friday November 30, 2012 – Police say four people are assisting their investigations into the shooting death of 27-year-old Trinidadian, Arthur Jones.Police said that Jones was shot and killed on Thursday soon after leaving the home of a female friend at Bois D’Orange, north of here. He was apparently ambushed and shot several times.He slumped to the side of the Bois d’orange road where his body was discovered later in the morning.Police said that the murder may have been linked to a shooting earlier this year that left one person dead and another seriously wounded.So far, 40 people have been murdered here this year.Caribbean 360last_img read more

Opposition Leader questions relevance of urgent Parliament sitting

first_img Share Share Tweet 486 Views   one comment LocalNews Opposition Leader questions relevance of urgent Parliament sitting by: Dominica Vibes News – November 9, 2015center_img Sharing is caring! Share Opposition Leader, Lennox Linton on his way to Parliament on Friday 24 July 2015 (file photo)Opposition Leader Lennox Linton has questioned the relevance of an urgent meeting of Parliament to allow for the establishment of the Eastern Caribbean Asset Management Corporation.This urgent sitting of Parliament on Tuesday 10 November 2015 follows its approval of a bill for an Act to provide for the regulation of the banking business, establish a single banking space and for incidental and related matters and the repeal of the Banking Act, No. 16 of 2005.This Bill, tabled in Parliament by Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit on Thursday 28 May 2015, was unanimously approved following debate by members of the House, on 29 May 2015.According to the Acting Prime Minister, Dr Collin McIntyre, the Eastern Caribbean Asset Management Corporation will be responsible for asset and liability management as there are a number of banks in the region that experience some difficulties, hence the need for this management corporation.However, Mr Linton, speaking on Q95FM radio on Monday 9 November 2015, indicated that there is more important legislation to be dealt with than rushing the legal provision of the Assets Management Corporation. “There is significant legislative work to be done that is not being paid attention to, even work related to the passage of Tropical Storm Erika, but here we are now in the aftermath of Erika rushing, not an Erika related matter into the Parliament, but an act for Asset Management Corporation,” Mr Linton said.“We have had comprehensive Disaster Management Legislation that ought to have been passed in the parliament for years now; it’s still there, no attention. We have been hearing the cries of the public about the necessity of dealing with amendments of the Sexual Offensive Act in the interest of protecting children…We have not paid any attention to that,” Mr Linton said.He said in this urgent Parliament session there is provision for government notices and statement by ministers but no provisions for questions which would allow the Opposition to participate. “I am a little bit concerned that this is the first meeting of the Parliament since Tropical Storm Erika and it would have been good to have been able to ask some questions about where we are going,” Mr Linton said.last_img read more

Garuda Indonesia Turunkan Harga Tiket Jakarta-Padang

first_imgBoeing 737 MAX 8 Garuda Indonesia. Sumber: airliners.net Maskapai plat merah Garuda Indonesia pada hari Kamis (28/2/2019) mulai menurunkan tarif tiket pesawat rute penerbangan Jakarta menuju ke Padang PP. Tiket ini sendiri akan dijual mulai harga Rp999.999 sekali jalan (one way) dan lebih rendah 40 persen dari harga normal.Baca juga: Ikutan Menjerit Karena Harga Tiket Pesawat Mahal? Cek Dulu Penyebabnya!Harga ini sendiri belum termasuk dengan ppn, psc, asuransi dan berlaku hingga 12 April 2019 mendatang dengan kondisi tertentu. Direktur Human Capital Garuda Indonesia, Heri Akhyar mengatakan pihaknya berkomitmen melakukan penurunan harga tiket pesawat. Penurunan ini sendiri sejalan dengan komitmen perusahaan untuk mendukung pertumbuhan pariwisata dan perekonomian.“Sebagai national flag carrier, kami menyadari sepenuhnya akan peran penting maskapai penerbangan dalam mendukung pertumbuhan pariwisata daerah serta mendukung aktivitas ekonomi masyarakat khususnya melalui penyediaan akses konektivitas udara yang terjangkau,” ujar Heri yang dikutip KabarPenumpang.com melalui siaran pers yang diterima, Kamis (28//2/2019).Dia menambahkan, pihaknya akan terus memastikan bahwa penurunan harga menjadi komitmen berkelanjutan Garuda Indonesia dalam menyediakan pelayanan maskapai bintang lima dengan tarif kompetitif sehingga mampu menjangkau seluruh masyarakat Indonesia.Namun, hingga saat ini maskapai tersebut belum bisa memastikan akan menurunkan tarif rute mana saja yang akan turun.“Sementara rute Padang dulu. Sebelumnya sudah ada penurunan harga tiket yang 20 persen,” ujar VP Corporate Secretary Garuda Indonesia, Ikhsan Rosan.Diketahui, beberapa waktu lalu harga tiket pesawat cukup mahal dan ini dikeluhkan oleh masyarakat. Bahkan setelah adanya keluhan tersebut, Januari kemarin sejumlah maskapai penerbangan nasional mengaku sudah menurunkan harga tiket mereka. Tak hanya itu Garuda Indonesia Group sendiri yang menaungi masskapai Garuda Indonesia, Citilink dan Sriwijaya Air sudah dua kali menurunkan harga tiketnya.Baca juga: Boeing 737 Garuda Indonesia Dipasangi Livery Mitsubishi Xpander! Ada Apa?Kenaikan tiket pesawat bisa dari beberapa faktor, salah satunya adalah kontribusi harga avtur terhadap biaya operasional maskapai sebesar 25-45 persen. Selain itu biaya sewa atau cicil pesawat sebesar 25-30 persen. Sisanya adalah biaya para pekerja dan jasa di bandara.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading… Relatedlast_img read more

16-year-old surfer Kawai triumphs at Ichinomiya Chiba Open

first_imgThe victory was the first on the senior pro circuit for Kawai, who has her eye on the 2020 Tokyo Games, where surfing will make its Olympic debut.“I’m so happy to win a big tournament like this,” Kawai said. “It (the Olympics) is three years from now, but it will be on us in a hurry. I want to improve more and more and be able to win a medal.”The 3,000 qualifying points for the win lifted Kawai to 23rd in the series rankings, a jump of 95 places. Kurokawa improved 49 notches to 28th.In the men’s competition which offered 6,000 points, Jesse Mendes of Brazil took first place, beating Australia’s Cooper Chapman in the final.Hiroto Ohara finished ninth, but that was enough to take him to second in the rankings behind Mendes. Minori Kawai, Ichinomiya Chiba Open, World Surf League, Dimity Stoyle, Hinako Kurokawa RELATED PHOTOS KEYWORDS CHIBA – Minori Kawai captured the Ichinomiya Chiba Open on Sunday, part of the World Surf League’s qualifying series.The 16-year-old Kawai, who came from behind to win her semifinal against Australia’s Dimity Stoyle, defeated Hinako Kurokawa 13.10-12.40 in the final.center_img IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES Minori Kawai rides a wave en route to the Ichinomiya Chiba Open women’s title on Sunday. The event is a part of the World Surf League’s qualifying series. | KYODOlast_img read more

City Of Kenai Issues Disaster Declaration Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Concerns

first_imgAccording to the declaration, the City requests that the State of Alaska provide disaster assistance to the City by making available resources as needed in the ongoing response and recovery from the current and potential impacts of this pandemic, to provide individual assistance for affected businesses and individuals, and to provide technical expertise and guidance, to help the City in its response and recovery from this event. The City additionally requests assistance from federal agencies where state capability is not adequate. Ostrander: “The city council extended the declaration (at their meeting on Wednesday) for 90 days or until repealed sooner.”  Kenai City Manager Paul Ostrander: “Due to the current and expected impacts of COVID-19 I signed a disaster declaration on March 19. This provides an opportunity for the city to receive assistance from federal agencies and state agencies.” FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The City of Kenai issued a disaster declaration on Thursday due to the current and expected imminent impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, and as such has activated the emergency operations plan of the City in order to address the ongoing response. The City expects that the continued impact of COVlD-19 will be of a severity and magnitude that is beyond the authority and capacity of the City to provide effective response.last_img read more